Tuesday, July 16, 2013

White loaf with home made Thai sausage


Anusha of TomatoBlues is the lovely host for Bread Baking Day #61. She asked us to bake stuffed bread. 

There are so many delicious ingredients for stuffed bread, but I had this Chiang Mai sausage in my refrigerator since I made it myself yesterday. We found a package of herbs and spices and 5 pieces of sausage skin. Tonight we are also eating it on a pizza, but the rest goes in this soft white bread. 

The sausage is called Sai Ua, also known as Chiang Mai sausage. It's famous in Chiang Mai and is filled with minced pork, herbs, spices and  kaeng khua red curry paste. It's spicy and goes well with the slightly sweet dough. 

We like to eat vegetarian food, but this sausage keeps us from become 100% vegetarians. 




Specifics
Name                                       White loaf with home made Thai sausage
Yields                                       1 loaf
Dough temp.                             24°C
Autolyse                                   20 minutes
Mixing                                      3 slow and 12 medium speed
Fermentation                            60 minutes
Shape                                       batard
Proof at roomtemp.                   60 minutes
Bake 230°C                               25 minutes; 10 with steam and 15 without

This is what I used:
Bakers formula                      %          grams
Flour                                      100       560
Water                                     44         250
Salt                                         1.7       10       

Dough
Unbleached all purpose flour                 560      
Milk                                                     250
Salt                                                      10                                                       
Yeast, dry active                                    7
Sugar                                                   10
Butter, melted                                      60
Eggs, whisked (2)                                 100

Filling:
Chiang Mai sausage (Sai Ua)                  100

This is what I did:
I added all ingredients, except salt, to the mixing bowl. I mixed until well combined, about 2 minutes. I left it 20 minutes for autolyse.
Then I added the salt and mixed for 3 minutes on slow and 12 minutes at second speed until it reached full gluten development.

Bulk Fermentation: transfer the dough to a slightly oiled containers, cover and leave for 1  hour. 

Shaping: I loosely shaped the dough into a batard, I flattened the dough and divided the pieces of sausage on the dough. Then I covered the pieces of sausage with the dough.
I shaped it into a tighter batard and place it in a plastic bag and closed it.

Proofing: I proofed the loaf for 60 minutes.

Pre heating: I pre heated the oven to 230°C.

Preparing and Baking: When the oven is hot enough I boil water and pour it in a glass bottle with a long neck. I pour some boiling water on the hot stones and quickly close the oven door to keep the steam in the oven.
I place the loaf on parchment on a peel and transfered to the oven and quickly slide the loaf on the baking stone. After some minutes I add some more water to get more steam.
I baked the loaf 10 minutes with steam and quickly removed the parchment paper and the steam pan. Then I lowered the temperature to 200°C. I baked the loaf for another 15 minutes. Bake the loaf until it is light brown colored.

Cooling: Let the loaf cool completely on a wire rack.

I send this to Susan’s YeastSpotting and to Anusha of TomatoBlues

No comments:

Post a Comment