Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Sourdough Vermont with Figs and Walnuts


It’s a while since I posted about bread baking, that doesn’t mean I don’t bake bread. I bake a few loaves of bread each week. It’s because I like to post about bread I bake for the first time. But, I also like to eat bread I baked before and I don’t post about these.
Today I saw figs and walnuts in my pantry and thought about that delicious Vermont Sourdough of Jeffrey Hamelman.
The smell of figs and walnuts give this loaf a rich filling and it doesn’t need too much topping. Except for cheese of course or some butter. The next day we drove to Chiang Mai, a 3,5 hours ride, and a nice slice of Vermont with Figs and Walnuts makes the ride even better.  
This way we have another loaf of bread I’ll bake again.


Sourdough Vermont with Figs and Walnuts

Adapted from                          Bread; a Baker’s Book of Techniques and Recipes
                                              by Jeffrey Hamelman
Yields                                      1 loaf
Levain build                             12 – 18 hours
Soaker                                     12 – 18 hours
Autolease                                30 minutes
Mixing                                      2 + 4 minutes
Fermentaion                            2.5 hours
Stretch/Fold                            50 and 100 minutes
Shape                                      30 minutes
Proof at roomtemp.                 1.5 hours
Proof in refrigerator                overnight
Prepare steam/bake                 1 hour
Bake 230°C                              40-45 minutes

This is what I used:
Bakers formula                        %          grams
Flour                                       100       447
Water                                      67        300
Salt                                          2          18

Levain                                                 grams
Unbleached All Purpose Flour                45
Water                                                  57
Mature Culture 100% hydr.                    10

Final Dough
Unbleached All Purpose Flour                339
Rye flour                                             29
Whole wheat bran                                29        (I used home milled; coarse)
Water                                                  238
Salt                                                      9
Liquid Levain                                       102      

Filling
Walnuts                                               50
Figs, dried                                           50       

This is what I did:
Liquid Levain:  the evening before (12 to 16 hours) I mixed the ingredients for the liquid levain. I left it in a plastic container with a lid for the night in my kitchen. It’s probably warmer than the adviced 21°C in our house because the next morning after about 10 hours the levain looked like it was fully fed and ready to drop. 

Baking day
:
The final dough: I added all of the ingredients, except salt and the seeds, in the mixing bowl of a spiral mixer and mixed until all was well combined. After 30 minutes I added salt. I mixed on first speed for 3 minutes and on second speed for another 3 minutes or so. The dough should have moderate gluten development. Add the figs and walnuts at the end of mixing.

Bulk Fermentation:
 transfer the dough to a slightly oiled container, cover and leave for 2 1/2 hours. Stretch and fold the dough two times at 50-minute intervals.

Shaping: I pre-shaped into a ball and let it rest for 15 minutes under a tea towel.
I shaped the ball into a batard and placed them into floured proofing basket. I placed the proofing basket into a large plastic bag.

Proofing: I proofed the loafs for 1,5 hours. Because of the warm/hot temperature in our house I watch them to prevent over proofing.

Pre heating: I pre heated the oven to 230°C and placed the steam pan with stones on the bottom of the oven.

Preparing and Baking: When the oven is hot enough I boil water and pour it in a glass bottle with a long neck. I pour some boiling water on the hot stones and quickly close the oven door to keep the steam in the oven.
I place the loaves on parchment on a peel and score them as quick as I can. Transfer them to the oven and quickly slide the loaves on the baking stone. After some minutes I add some more water to get more steam.

I baked the loaf 12 minutes with steam and quickly removed the parchment paper and the steam pan. I baked the loaf for another 33 minutes. Bake the loaf until it’s nicely brown colored.

Cooling: Let the loaves cool completely on a wire rack.

I send this to Susan’s YeastSpotting 

No comments:

Post a Comment