Saturday, January 22, 2011

Garlic buns


I was looking at the recipes at Yeastspotting and found these delicious looking garlic buns. I made a note and knew I would make them soon. Today was the day, because yesterday I made French union soup and these buns would match perfectly.

I changed the recipe of Toxobread little bit. I replaced the basil for dried herbs from the Provence. I chose water in stead of milk, because we like crusty buns. I didn’t use the egg wash.

This is what I used:
Ingredients
- 150 gr all-purpose flour
- 118 gr lukewarm water (don’t use all the water at once)
- 22 gr vegetable oil
- 12 gr sugar
- 3 gr salt
- 6 gr active dry yeast
- 1/4 tsp dried herbs from the Provence
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano

Filling
- Approx. 2 tbsp butter at room temperature
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced (we love garlic and eat it almost every day)
- 1 tsp dried herbs from the Provence

This is what I did:
Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water along with the sugar, and allow to proof at room temperature until foamy, about 10 minutes.

Add the flour, oil and herbs to the bowl, and mix until the dough begins to come together and leaves the sides of the bowl. Leave it for 10 minutes and add the salt. Mix till you have a smooth and supple dough.


Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover and allow the dough to rise till doubled, this takes about 60 minutes.

Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and divide into 4 portions of 75-80 grams each. Shape each portion into a ball and let them rest for 5-10 minutes.

Shape each bun into a round ball and place on parchment paper and cover lightly with plastic wrap. Let the buns rise until puffy, around 30 minutes.

In the meantime prepare the filling by mixing the softened butter, minced garlic and dried herbs from the Provence.
Make a sharp cut in each bun and spoon the filling into the slits.

I baked the buns in a preheated oven at 200 C for 35 minutes. The original recipe needed 180 C for 12-16 minutes. Just have a look at your buns while they are in the oven.
We ate them with my French onionsoup, delicious or as the French say ‘délicieux'

Found at toxobread I will send these buns to Yeastspotting

No comments:

Post a Comment